The Linnton Community Center has long served the Linnton, NW industrial, Willbridge, inner St Johns, Sauvie Island, and the northernmost isolated rural neighborhoods of Portland. Since the opening in 1926, LCC has served as a safety net for the greater northwest industrial area and surrounding neighborhoods. LCC has been a community-gathering place seeking to educate and enrich life for all who pass through its doors. As this community has evolved over the years so have the programs that serve its people.
Individuals from previous generations have remarked that, “Linnton was multicultural before it was cool.” LCC remained steadfast in its dedication to equality through the cold war as it provided a “canteen” for the much-feared Russian sailors that were in port. During the 1950’s there were few places Russians were welcome in Portland. During the tumultuous years of racial segregation in the early 1960’s, LCC’s Director Bill Mather provided a bus to the Albina neighborhood so that African American children would have access to classes and recreation despite widespread prejudice. Today LCC welcomes the Latino population by providing Bilingual early childhood education as well as a place to celebrate tradition. LCC hosts a Dia de Los Muertos celebration that is widely attended and provides space for important family celebrations such as Bautismos, Bodas, Quinceneras and Primera Communiones with a focus on cultural competency.